Sunday 3 February 2013

People who tattooed my life #6: Dwight


1999 was a bittersweet year for me (aren't they all ?): I had been headhunted by IBM, and an exciting new career beckoned, but my beloved mom was very ill. The first day I showed up at Edinburgh house in Staines and met my new boss, Dwight, exemplified this bittersweet-ness.

It was a strange meeting: he told me since that I intimidated him a  bit 'cos I had a reputation for being smart, but HE intimidated ME by being so damn cool and relaxed about everything. Then as now Dwight wore his skin more comfortably than anybody I ever met.

Within an hour of chatting I explained about my Mom.  Without catching breath Dwight binned his schedule for my induction education etc. and said that I should "so what I can" for IBM until my family situation improved. And I knew that it was utterly genuine.

I was able to spend all the time needed with Mom. It was an amazing blessing. Soon enough I was able to focus on my new job with a clear conscience.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, you treat everything as if it were a nail" goes the wise saying, and the only tool that had served me well in my career thus far had been technical nous. Dwight had absolutely zero IT technical skills yet I learned as much from him in two years as I have from ANYONE in my life.

Dwight was MORE a natural diplomat: he was a STUDIED diplomat. He defused relationship bombs, enthused slacking business partners and generally supported revenue in ways that left me amazed.  I learned that you could have the best product in the world but if people didn't view it or you that way, you would starve.

The best part was that I got to learn all this cool stuff from Dwight as we travelled the world together as best mates. Dwight viewed the world with an attitude that was a combination of a child in a sweet shop and a Spy. He was enthused with childlike wonder at cool stuff, but ALWAYS knew how to get around and get stuff done in every city on earth.  He dragged me around on his travels like his country bumpkin cousin, which I guess I was !

I danced in gay clubs, ate the devils toenails in Lisbon, learned to love country music in Printer's alley in Nashville, ate breakfast tacos with senators and illegals in Austin...  Dwight was the best adopted big brother on earth. Soon Dwight moved back to the States, but he used to come and stay with my family at Christmas during our holidays in Florida. One year he drove 48 hours to be with us in Forth Worth then the SECOND he got out of the car he hugged my kids and took them indoors to make Christmas stockings and cards using the materials he bought with him...



I can't begin to list the adventures, nor intimate discussions we had, and every single one grew me as a person...especially "porchworld"...

Our paths have grown apart somewhat of late but as soon as I get a dollar again I can't wait to hook up with Dwight again.

Bro' you changed me into a far more tolerant, confident and  appreciative person and I love you. Hope to see you soon:)


No comments:

Post a Comment