Saturday 2 February 2013

People who tattooed my life #2: Bob Mansell


As a pimply, chubby eleven year old, I was not very sports minded. I had no confidence and was bookish. Then I had a bike with big wheels for Christmas ( a metallic green and gold Raleigh with Sturmey Archer gears !) and my life changed. I rode everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

At that time at school we had a man present at assembly wearing lycra and odd clothes, and accompanied by all kinds of exotic bicycles. His name was Bob Mansell, and he ran a mega-exciting bike shop in Smethwick. He was offering for kids to join his cycling club. I summoned up the courage to ask him what I would need to do to join. he asked " Do you have a bike, son?"

"Yes sir, but I don't think its a racer like these".

"That doesn't matter - its the racer ON the bike that's most important".

And I joined. Everybody was quicker than me to begin with and few kids laughed at my town-bike, but Bob was kind without being patronising, and correcting without criticizing. I got to be able to keep up. Lost some lard too !

Then my bike was stolen from outside my Cousin Chris and Linda's house. I was heartbroken. It was found three days later bent and thrown down a railway embankment. I was devastated.

My Dad and my Brother Ray worked on it; straightened everything up, touched up the paint and put on a new saddle and grips. But it was never the same.

Bob Mansell asked why I hadn't been coming to his cycling club and I explained about the theft and damage, and repair.  Bob thought about it for a moment then said my bike was BETTER for all the love put into it by Dad and Ray not worse for being nicked. It made me feel better and I rejoined his riding club.

I did so well that the following Christmas, after two years cycling Mom and Dad bought me a custom made racing cycle, made by my Brother's uncle-by-marriage Jack Hateley. I drifted away from Bob Mansell's cycling club then, and started riding around with mates far more, but I never forgot his kindness and encouragement.  Love can be a better ingredient than anything you can bolt on.

Bob passed away at a ripe old age in 2006.RIP Mr Mansell.

2 comments:

  1. i was lucky enough to have been taught by bob as a kid of 13-14 and went on to hand build mountain bikes for zinn(whiteburner products,isla rowntree,andy thompson).he taught me passion.i will never forget him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in bob mansells club velo club central , and always in his bike shop, great days long rides with the seniors in the week, racing around the parks at weekends as a 15 year old we couldn’t race on the roads, he used to set up the criteriums in the local area
    , Hugh porter used to come along,we built a cyclo cross track at the back of Hadley stadium which is wher my grand children play football now and also the cycling club was there, great memories, rip bob mansell

    ReplyDelete